Wednesday 28 November 2012

London's little secret: the Soviet T-34 tank

Following my blog on Singapore and its lack of creativity and unconventionality, today I came across something which could only be found in a vibrant city like London... A city on the other end of the spectrum from Singapore.


See, this is why I cherish my home town. The very sight of something so random plonked on some land surrounded by Bermondsey estates makes my eyes smile.

Installed in 1995, you will find this Soviet T-34 tank at the corner of Mandela Way and Pages Walk - just minutes from where I once called home in Bermondsey, SE1. 

Cool, right? 

But guess what? It has a history with a message behind it. 

The fascinating - what would now seem to be a landmark - was installed by a landowner who is said to have failed to get planning permission on the site. What makes it even more exciting is the gun's direction, facing towards the local council offices.

Give it a few days, weeks, or years and here you have it. A piece of art. 

Graffiti, rust - you name it. The tank is truly reflective of London's artistic flair and personality.

And that, my friends, is one of the things that makes London rock my socks off.

God help Singaporeans if they ever found the Soviet T-34 tank in their city, however. The culprit would most likely be tortured, before being given the death sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment